Powered by Blogger.

A Letter To My 13 Year Old Self

I turned 18 a week ago and initially I was going to post this then as a birthday post, however I guess you can say I've been putting it off, but after reading it a couple times and having my friend convince me it's okay, I'm finally posting it.



Dear 13 year old Tiffany,

When I decided to peer into the looking glass which cast a light upon you, I saw a shy, introverted and afraid young girl who feels lost on this long path which is life. I realised that there are so many things I wish you knew, some of which may have helped you for the better. 

First of all, there are good people in this world, the ones who support you, make you smile and laugh, and they never give up on you even when at times it feels like they should, and then there are the toxic and negative people in this world who thrive to make only themselves happy and don't care about who they hurt in the process. The toxic people won't seem toxic at first. In fact, you will believe that they're your best friends and you will fail to realise how their negativity is affecting you. Two things you must know - Always take care of yourself and remove yourself from any negative and unhealthy relationships. If someone is making you feel bad about yourself, cut ties with them. Putting yourself first isn't a bad thing. The second thing, it might not seem like it right now but there are good people out there. You'll eventually find the people you were supposed to be friends with. You'll find a little group of friends who always want what's best for you, will include you in everything, will support you with your future goals and will always be honest with you. It'll be bumpy at times but that's how friendship groups work. But the best thing is? You'll be happy and you will be friends with these absolute idiots for a very long time.

I wish you knew how talented you are and that it's okay to be proud of yourself, to embrace everything about you and to not worry about what others think about you. Your mind is such a powerful tool, use it. Keep using your imagination, you know you've always had an interesting one, you'll realise eventually that it's one of your best qualities. 
I know you have a passion for writing and drawing, don't lose sight of that. It's your strongest side and that's something to be proud of. And you know what the cool part is? You will use it and you won't settle for anything you don't like. Your determination will be your best friend for the most part. To summarise, don't lose sight of those big dreams that the people around you are being negative about, fight for what you want.

I wish you knew that there's beauty within you and you shouldn't be too concerned about the beauty on the outside. You're beautiful in your own way, so look after yourself because I know that right now you're in a bad place. Hard times are ahead, some worse than others, but believe me when I say this - there are people here for you. Your friends - online and in real life, your family, they all love and support you. And you will get past every obstacle you face no matter how impossible it may seem.


So here's the thing, I could continue to write about the things I wish you knew. But do you know what? I realise now that it doesn't matter anymore. Everything that has happened has made me the person I am today. And although I may not be fully content with myself yet, (note, the optimism now?), I'm going to be okay. You're, going to be okay. You've got a long way to go, it'll be a bumpy ride but I can assure you it is worth it. At the end of the dark tunnel that seems daunting and never ending, there's the brightest light that you could ever imagine and boy does it feel good on your skin. You'll do things you never thought you were ever capable of doing or lucky enough to experience, you'll meet some great people, and some bad, but you're okay. You will always be okay.

And in case you were wondering, things with your mother still aren't fixed and don't be too down-hearted when you learn that they may never be. I know that this is one of the reasons why you're feeling so lost, but you have to understand that not everything is fixable. You'll learn that the person, the mother, you've always wished for and thought she could be despite how much she's hurt you, will never be there. Unfortunately, not everyone in this world is capable of change. But it's okay.

Not everything works out the way you want them to, but that's life.  But I now realise why people say 'everything happens for a reason' - that's because it does. Things must fall out of place for the better things to fall into place.

Remember; you can always paint the roses red. You'll know what I mean soon.

Love you always and forever supporting you,

Your future self.


(Oh, and by the way? Stop posting things on Facebook. In fact, delete your account. You'll thank me later.)


CONVERSATION

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Tiffany. I knew you could do it and I'm glad I knew your 13 year old self - she was wonderful, just like she still is now!

    Whitney xoxo | Whitney Loren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ! I love this. I love how it's really personal but at the same time it doesn't give anything away. Do you write stories and post them online? Because if your writing is this wonderful in a letter, I would love to find out how your creative writing is.

    ~Aby
    a-blog-for-thoughts.blogspot.com.mt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do write stories but I haven't posted them online (yet), in fact I'm currently writing a novel which I'm hoping to get published at some point. However I am thinking about possibly posting some snippets on my blog soon. Thank you for your comment!

      Tiffany

      Delete
  3. Aw this is so lovely, Tiffany. It's really touching.

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top